Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mannequin heads for Mask Making?

I'm looking into getting my Brother a mannequin head because he is an avid model maker. However, has recently suggested getting into mask making. He mentioned using a mannequin head set up to plaster so that he can make the mask base without using real people all of the time. Not being an artist myself, I have no idea what sort of head to get, whether it should have a face or not. I don't want to ask my Brother, as I want it to be a surprise.





From what I believe, he wants quite a basic mannequin, showing facial features like eyes, nose, mouth, ears etc... but not hair?


When I've looked around on actual mannequin sites, most of them either come with full bodies or with hair.





I'd be extremely grateful for any advice or links as to where I could purchase a suitable head for this sort of work.





Thanks ever so much,


Best Wishes


xMannequin heads for Mask Making?
You might want to check at a professional art supply store if you have one in your city. Ask them what they would recommend. Mannequin heads for Mask Making?
Have you check on Ebay
I use a plaster head for ';floating off'; appliances for makeup effects. It is a plaster positive of a generic head, with some features, check it out in the link below. See how I use it on my website, I'll put the link below. On my site, you'll see a zombie sculpture on it.





What's nice is that your brother can do the same thing: throw on the Roma or other desired oil clay and go for it. He probably already knows this, but I'll add 2 links below, one for maskmaking and one for molds. Even if he builds them without clay, this should work well. It is VERY stable and has a slight tilt which aids in work.





As always, call ahead to verify that it is the size you want because they offer a lifesize and mini one.





Good luck, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment