Monday, December 21, 2009

I have black masked love birds that has had 4 eggs when they hatch when can i pull them to start handfeeding?

i have a total of 6 lovebirds this is all new to me i have read several books but still need a little help with them being healthy and happy thank youI have black masked love birds that has had 4 eggs when they hatch when can i pull them to start handfeeding?
I breed as a hobby, and I am constantly hand feeding babies! Most breeders pull babies at 10 to 14 days unless there is a problem. You really don't want to pull them earlier because you want the parents to learn how to feed their babies, and when they are very tiny it is really hard to handfeed. Baby's should not be handled often when they are tiny and beaks are very soft and can be pushed over by syringes.


Some breeders choose to pull later at 3 weeks, it just depends on the breeder. I pull my babies at about 10 days, right when their eyes open. If I am busy with older babies and work then I pull at 10 days and band and then put them back in the box for another 5 to 10 days. The longer you do it, it will all start to come to you and you will develop your own routine.I have black masked love birds that has had 4 eggs when they hatch when can i pull them to start handfeeding?
I have a pair of Lovebirds that hatched 5 babies. 3 we're born a week before the last two. The first 3 being larger crushed one of the new babies and the other was about dead. I took the little one and hand fed it myself. All I could fine about feeding them were at that age 6 to 8 drops of food. I couldn't find anything else and I ask here and no one helped. I learned on my own. After the baby reached the age of 2 weeks he was big enough to go back to mom and dad and they are still taking care of him.


But to answer your question you don't have to take them to hand feed them just to make them loving. All of our babies have remained with the parent birds. I take them out now that they have a small amount of feathers and hold them. They are already use to me. Just spending time with them will do the trick. I have raise Cockatiels and I do this with them. All of our Cockatiels are loving to anyone that comes over. Proof you don't have to hand feed them to make them tame.


Keep a close eye on them to make sure they are all getting their share of food. If not you might have to help.
Hi,





You can feed them whenever you feel comfortable with :) I personally prefer two weeks, there not as small, or too big, and its a good age. But you can feed them when they are younger, its just a little bit more scary and hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment