Saturday, December 12, 2009

What kind of alginate do I use for a life mask?

Hi, I want to make a life cast of my face and head, and I was wondering what kind of alginate I should use. Does it matter if I use dental alginate, like this? http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/95/57/415c_1.JPG





The only place I can find alginate at a reasonalbe price is on the internet. Are there any stores who sell it cheaper?





Also, how much should I buy for 1 cast of my head and neck, and another cast of just someone's face?





Thanks for your help!!What kind of alginate do I use for a life mask?
You can buy alginate for body casts at Smooth On. They will answer all your questions, they have great tech people!What kind of alginate do I use for a life mask?
I'd use fast set alginate, don't think brand matters. If you buy dental alginate, then test with small amount how much water to use. The instructions for dental use will use less water (like 1:1) which makes less material and very fast setting times. You can use 2:1 or even 3:1 water: alginate.





As shipping costs offset savings via internet I bought some from a local dental supply company. Went through the yellow pages for dental supply and phoned around until I found one which had it and sold it to me. check that out as well. Some art supply stores carry it as well.


My rough guess is that a pound would work good for a face. If you do face and shoulders maybe 2 and you will need a mothermold. Though I don't have much alginate experience and only used it 2 or 3 times.


Also you need to cast into alginate soon, it shrivels when it dries. You also will get only one really good cast per mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment