Monday, December 21, 2009

My black-masked lovebird just died =( and I want to get another bird, what should I get?

Just recently, my black-masked love-bird died for no reason. We had been looking after him well, by cleaning his cage, giving him the occasional bath (When needed), giving him toys, playing with him, feeding him a variety of foods and checking for anything that may be wrong with him (Like mites).


So I'm wondering why he died (He was nearly one) and what can I get to replace him, because the cage is empty, and it makes me sad.


I would like a bird that is social, and kind of like him...but I don't want another love-bird because I'll be sad. What can you suggest and why?





Thanks =) Your answers will be much appreciated.My black-masked lovebird just died =( and I want to get another bird, what should I get?
You need to find the reason before you fill that cage. Think about this; Nonstick cookware, if over heated, sends off toxic fumes, kills birds.Cleaning products have strong killer fumes. Chocolate, apple seeds, avocado seed.


Bleach is real bad, Pine cleaners,some plants, Being in a draft. or over heated. They like to bath at least once a day some even more. Make sure the food is fresh.My black-masked lovebird just died =( and I want to get another bird, what should I get?
You definitely need to find out WHY your bird died before you get a new bird. Fumes of almost anything (teflon, bleach, other cleaners, self clean ovens), or coming in contact with chemicals could cause. Extreme heat or cold, being in a draft. Eating foods that aren't bird safe. Also as far as bathing goes most birds are content with a bowl of just room temp water. My conure loves to just jump in it and have fun getting it everywhere. If I don't give her a bowl, she'll just try to use her water bowl. I say give them the opportunity to bathe every day. It's important for feather/skin health.





That being said. I would pitch all the perches, toys, and anything else in the cage except food bowls and the cage itself. The cage itself I would clean using bleach or GSE. Clean it multiple times, and then rinse it multiple times and then rinse it some more. I'd also advise letting it air dry outside, then giving it one more rinse to be sure all the bleach is gone.





Knowing how small lovebirds are, if you're gonna use the same cage you have to keep it small. If you don't want another lovie, then I would definitely, definately look into parrotlets. These little guys are small, but act anything like it. They're great if you have to have a smaller parrot, but they have all the personality you could ever want. If parrotlets are a tad expensive then you can always go with a budgie.





If you can afford to go buy a new cage I would say consider a green cheek conure or a cockatiel. If you live in an apartment go with the cockatiel as they are quieter than the green cheek. Both are small parrots but are very loving and great birds to have.
maybe you can get a parakeet. they can be very social, (i think) well, if you get used to them they can be social p.s i only know this cuse i want one

No comments:

Post a Comment